This is a free, three-hour class to help photographers gain a deeper understanding of their equipment, the exposure triangle, and composition to move beyond automatic zones into creative photography.
The class will progress from the basics of understanding how a camera works, the buttons and dials on your camera, how to hold a camera and shoot to understanding exposure, the elements of an image, composition and post-processing basics. If time allows and there is interest we may walk around the grounds to practice the skills learned.
The class is being held at beautiful Kartchner Caverns in Benson AZ. Kartchner Caverns has been voted the Number 1 cave in the United States. The course does not include a cave tour. If you would like to add a cave tour to your day, we recommend booking a reservation in advance
(Reserve a cave tour)
Marbry Mill 2015Marbry Mill 2015
Limited Edition (15 prints)
It is the most photographed spot on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and one of the top ten most photographed spots in the country; Mabry Mill. In 1905, the Mill was just a dream in Ed Marbry's head. Once built it became a cornerstone of the farming community. In 1938, when Ed Marbry passed, his wife sold the Mill to the parks department. From then, until today, it is a must stop for any endeavouring to experience the BRP in full.
Cindy and I arrived at the Mill about 45 minutes before sunset. There were at least half a dozen other photographers already guarding their coveted spots on the big grass lawn in front of the Mill. Ever unconventional, I did not want the same shot as everyone else. Climbing a small wood fence, I tucked behind a large bush and set up my tripod. I should have taken a picture of the other photographers faces. It was sacrilege not to shoot from the iconic vantage point. Yet, within twenty minutes there were three other photographers nestled into the small patch of land to shoot from this view.
We had just missed the leaves peaking, a local rainstorm the night before having blown most of the trees bare. Still, it was a beautiful place to be.
This is one of two almost identical shots I am posting. I cannot decide if I want to leave the image-saturated in color, or in a muted black and white.
Showings by appointment
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
⅙ sec at f/11 Bias: ‒ 1 EV
Lens: EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM @ 21 mm
Edited in: Adobe Lightroom 2015CC
Lady Liberty and the setting moonAnother from last nights shoot at the Brooklyn Piers.
Shoot Date: July 31, 2017
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Aperture priority 0.4 sec at f/6.3 ‒ 1 EV
Lens: EF400mm f/2.8L USM @ 400 mm
- Class begins at 1:00 pm MT.
- The class is only open to registered participants
- We will meet in the conference room at Kartchner Caverns visitor center.
- Registered participants will not have to pay the $7.00 parking fee
- Cave Tours are NOT included in the class. If you are interested in a cave tour we strongly suggest making a separate reservation in advance. Reservations can be made here: Reserve a cave tour
- This is a free class. Tips are gratefully accepted but not required
- If you want to learn more about photography or experience the excitement of shooting the Milky Way, Lightning, the Moon or have interest in private instruction please check out our workshops page here: Workshops, Tours and Private Instruction